Re: pg_hba.conf change in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Seum-Lim Gan
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf change in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Bruce,

I tried psql -U scncraft -h 127.0.0.1 and it works.

So, it may seem that my localhost somehow is mapped to
use IPV6 ?

Last time I added a line in /etc/host thinking it may help:
::1   ip6-localhost   ip6-loopback

I just took that line off and rebooted the machine but
now I cannot get in. Need to get to the console and
see why telnetd: could not grant slave pty.

Will let you know after I try to get back in.

Gan

At 4:01 pm -0500 2003/12/7, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>Seum-Lim Gan wrote:
>>  Hi Bruce,
>>
>>  I tried to newly compiled 7.4 with HAVE_IPV6 commented out
>>  in /src/include/pg_config.h.
>>
>>  After that I tried psql:
>>
>>  psql -U scncraft -h localhost
>>  psql: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1", user "scncraft",
>>  database "A"
>>
>>  This happens the same way whether I have this line in pg_hba.conf or not:
>>  # IPv6-style local connections:
>>  host    all         all         ::1
>>  ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:
>>  ffff:ffff        ident pspmap
>
>Forget ident at this point.  Let's see if we can get your machine to use
>the IPv4 line in pg_hba.conf.
>
>Try this --- compile with IPv6 commented out, as you have done, then
>remove the ::1 line from pg_hba.conf, and see if you can connect using
>this:
>
>    > psql -U scncraft -h 127.0.0.1
>
>and see what happens.  Is your 'localhost' mapped to an IPv4 OR IPv6
>address?  Also, I am sure you realized you can connect without -h just
>using unix domain sockets, but that will not allow you to use ident.
>
>--

| Seum-Lim GAN                 email : slgan@lucent.com  |
| Lucent Technologies                                    |
| 2000 N. Naperville Road, 6B-403F  tel : (630)-713-6665 |
| Naperville, IL 60566, USA.        fax : (630)-713-7272 |
|       web : http://inuweb.ih.lucent.com/~slgan         |